[BUG] Amazon S3 backup does not work on a fresh install until awscli is installed

On a new system, therefore fresh install and with all the updates, I encountered the following situation: I try to make backups on Amazon S3 and they fail. Then I tried from the command line with:

virtualmin upload-s3-file --access-key... ERROR: Invalid HTTP response : HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request

I eliminated various other posible causes by installing s3cmd and running it:

s3cmd ls s3:// The response contains the list of buckets, so it works.

Then I installed awscli which also installed a bunch of packages: awscli docutils-common fontconfig fonts-droid-fallback fonts-noto-mono ghostscript groff gsfonts hicolor-icon-theme imagemagick imagemagick-6-common imagemagick-6.q16 libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3 libcairo2 libcups2 libcupsfilters1 libcupsimage2 libdatrie1 libdjvulibre-text libdjvulibre21 libfftw3-double3 libgraphite2-3 libgs9 libgs9-common libharfbuzz0b libice6 libijs-0.35 libilmbase12 libjbig2dec0 liblcms2-2 liblqr-1-0 libmagickcore-6.q16-3 libmagickcore-6.q16-3-extra libmagickwand-6.q16-3 libnetpbm10 libopenexr22 libpango-1.0-0 libpangocairo-1.0-0 libpangoft2-1.0-0 libpaper-utils libpaper1 libpixman-1-0 libsm6 libthai-data libthai0 libwebpdemux2 libwebpmux3 libwmf0.2-7 libxaw7 libxcb-render0 libxcb-shm0 libxmu6 libxrender1 libxt6 netpbm poppler-data psutils python3-botocore python3-docutils python3-jmespath python3-olefile python3-pil python3-pygments python3-roman python3-rsa python3-s3transfer sgml-base x11-common xml-core

One or more of the packages above was the problem, because immediately after I got the same command "virtualmin upload-s3-file.." working.

I got the same problem 10 months ago but I was not sure what of those actions solved it. Now I am closer therefore I share my experiences.

Virtualmin version: 
Webmin version: 


Ilia's picture
Submitted by Ilia on Wed, 11/18/2020 - 07:24


Thanks for the head up.

Jamie recently mentioned, if I remember correctly, that we are planning to remove in-built support for S3 and fully rely on awscli command instead (which I also think the right thing to do).