SubServers for Subdomains not reachable

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Fri, 07/06/2007 - 16:33

SubServers for Subdomains not reachable

Hi, I'm a newbie to VirtualMin ;)

I want to setup the free version of VirtualMin for several domains and users. Setup and configuration went well, I disabled BIND configuration cause I don't want to use BIND.

Then I create a new virtual server for a domain All went well, the virtual server in Apache was correctly created and I could reach the page via

After that, I added a SubServer to get a subdomain working., configuration went well, but the domain is not reachable, I can't make a DNS request to this subdomain.

With another domain it worked by creating a virtual server in apache by myself, and the subdomain was reachable immediately. But manually creating a virtual server for doesn't work also.

Anyone has an idea, why both domains don't work the same way? I really don't want to hassle with BIND setup :(

Thanks in advance!

Fri, 07/06/2007 - 23:13
Joe's picture

Howdy Uwe,

It's hard to guess what's happening there, and unless I'm misunderstanding you, it's outside of the control of've just said you disabled BIND configuration, so whatever name server is providing your name service needs to be configured to handle just like you've configured it to handle If you're just using hosts files for local testing, that's fine too. Though, when you want others to be able to access your site, you'll need a DNS server somewhere answering these queries.

Also, I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill with regard to setting up BIND. It's dead simple with Webmin and Virtualmin (you pretty much don't have to do anything for Virtualmin usage...just install BIND and let Virtualmin do its job). For more advanced stuff, you could read the docs here:



And here:


Check out the forum guidelines!

Sun, 07/08/2007 - 15:46

Thanks for your answer. You were right, it was out of my control. The administrator had a wrong setup for the domain configuration, so the providers nameservers didn't answer to subdomain-requests.

So, the problem was not on my side and now it works finally :)

Sorry, for posting this here, I was just frustrated after trying this for 2 weeks.

But thanks for the links according BIND, maybe I'll get comfortable with BIND later. At this point, I think, I won't need it ;)

Topic locked