Minor issue using new Virtualmin Pro

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Wed, 09/14/2005 - 19:31

Minor issue using new Virtualmin Pro

I tried to create my first virtual domain with mail server, web server, dns server, and ssl web server, but I messed up the settings so I deleted the entire virtual server instance. I then tried to re-create the virtual server instance from scratch, but I keep on getting the same errors below. Any suggestions on how I can completely remove the pieces of this virtual domain so that I can re-create it all from scratch? I also checked for the "/home/rbkpublishing.com/logs/access_log", and it is true that it does not exist, because "/home/rbkpublishing/logs/access_log" was created by the program automatically. Well, thank you for your help, take care, and have a nice day!


Setting Up Virtual Server

In domain rbkpublishing.com Creating home directory .. .. done

Creating Unix group rbkpublishing .. .. done

Creating Unix user rbkpublishing .. .. done

Adding new DNS zone .. .. done

Adding to email domains list .. .. done

Adding new virtual website .. .. Apache website failed! : Failed to open /home/rbkpublishing.com/logs/access_log for writing : No such file or directory at ../web-lib-funcs.pl line 820.

Setting up scheduled Webalizer reporting .. .. done

Creating SSL certificate and private key .. .. done

Adding new SSL virtual website .. .. done

Setting up log file rotation .. .. done

Creating MySQL login .. .. MySQL database failed! : SQL insert into user (host, user, password) values ('localhost', 'rbkpublishing', password('test')) failed : Duplicate entry 'localhost-rbkpublishing' for key 1 at ../web-lib-funcs.pl line 820.

Creating Webmin user .. .. done

Adding DAV directives to website configuration .. .. done

Setting up AWstats reporting .. .. done

Re-starting DNS server .. .. done

Stopping and re-starting web server .. .. not running!

Re-starting Webmin .. .. done

Applying web server configuration .. .. not running!

Adding virtual IP interface for .. .. created interface eth0:1

Saving server details .. .. done

Wed, 09/14/2005 - 20:06


When you created the virtual server the first time around, did you cancel it while the domain creation script was running (by stopping your browser)? If so, this is something that you want to avoid at all cost. It's much better to let it set everything up, then you can delete the entire virtual server properly.

However, it does happen so let's get you fixed up!

As of right now, is the virtual server showing up in the Virtualmin Servers module? If so, please delete it from there and post any errors you encounter here.

You can go from module to module in webmin and fix anything that might be left over from the first time you created the domain. For example, you'll want to go into the mysql module and remove the user localhost-rkpublishing from the mysql list of users. You'll want to go over to the users and groups module, and make sure that the user that you created is not present. You could even try adding the user/group manually and deleting it to be sure that there is nothing left. Also make sure that the user's home directory is removed as well.

Also take a look at the Bind and Apache modules and make sure there are no records that refer to the domain name that you are having problems with.

I notice that your web server is not running. Please make sure that your virtualmin configuration has been validated to the settings that you wish to use before attempting to create a virtual server. You may need to set Apache to start at boot time to avoid any issues in the future.

Wed, 09/14/2005 - 22:03
Joe's picture

Hi Ronald,

This sounds like a bug in Virtualmin, and I think someone else has seen it in the GPL version as well. So I'm gonna try to reproduce it here and well make sure domains get fully deleted rather than leaving some database configuration lying around.

In the meantime, James is right about the steps to resolve the problem: Go to the module that is causing trouble (MySQL) and remove the offending user.

The other problem is that Apache is looking for a directory that doesn't exist, and Apache doesn't fail gracefully in this circumstance. I had thought the log writer program was the default setting, which would prevent a missing log directory from causing Apache to fail...I need to fix that too.

I think this also may be due to the old domain sticking around. Virtualmin will further qualify a name in order to make it unique, and so if Virtualmin thought there was a rbkpublishing user it would have added the .com. Which should have worked, though...

Kinda confusing all of it. But let's tackle one thing at a time. Remove the domain(s). Remove the user(s) from the MySQL database. Confirm that the users were removed from the system (Users and Groups module) and that the Apache VirtualHost configuration no longer exists. Check BIND for any leftover stuff. And check the Postfix Virtual table. If everything is clean of this domain, try creating it again--and let us know what happens. If it fails, send us the output of the failure immediately (i.e. don't try to remove the domain and start over). I'd like to figure out which one module is setting off the chain of events that leads to so many odd little wrong bits.


Check out the forum guidelines!

Wed, 09/14/2005 - 22:48

Jamie, Joe, and James,

Thanks for the your direction, because I located the extra stuff in the "httpd.conf" file that was left over along with the users listed in the MySQL modules. I deleted all of that old remaining information, and then recreated the instance again with absolutely no problems. Well, thank you, take care, and have a nice day!

Ron Krisko

Topic locked