I'm currently evaluating VirtualMin GPL for production environment and ran into a problem. Some details about my installation:
- m1.small instance in EC2 Singapore region
- Amazon Linux AMI (2012.09)
- Installed using install.sh
A few things I did that were out of the ordinary:
- Edited install.sh line 597 to download the 2012.03 'virtualmin-release-latest.noarch.rpm' instead
- In Post-Installation Wizard, I specified my (resolvable) hostname as primary nameserver, not sure if I should have used 'ns1.he.net' instead. All hosted Virtual Servers will have their DNS records hosted with dns.he.net
- Updated default server IP address to my elastic IP
- Unsure of the WebMin interface, I stopped the webmin service, manually formatted my instance store volume and additional 5GB EBS volume with XFS and mounted them as /home and /var respectively.
After rebooting, local disk space appeared ok so I proceeded to create a Virtual Server. This is where I ran into some problems (my test domain is globalcauseways.com).
- Installed phpMyAdmin script, but got a 404 at http://globalcauseways.com/phpmyadmin/
- Visiting http://globalcauseways.com/, I got an empty directory listing
- Uploaded a simple 'Hello World' index.html to '~/public_html/' but http://globalcauseways.com/ still shows the same empty directory listing. Visiting http://globalcauseways.com/index.html generated a 404.
- Uploaded another 'Hello World' index.html to '/var/www' with no change to the situation. Visiting the hostname's '/' & '/index.html' gave the same results as http://globalcauseways.com/.
Thanks in advance for your help and let me know if I should provide more info!