3.83gpl to 3.84gpl gone wrong

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Thu, 03/31/2011 - 16:31

3.83gpl to 3.84gpl gone wrong


So, last night at 11:59 I received an email that virtualmin 3.84gpl was available for upgrade. So, I log-in to my webserver and hit the update button. When downloading the new 3.84 release it was only 1.6m download it said. However, there were apparently 2 portions of it. As the first part was installed correctly, but the second part was not. When I clicked return to the previous page at the bottom of the install page, I receive a time out error. Alas, I cannot access my server :(. I do not know what has gone wrong or what can be done to fix it. I didn't think to screenshot the error before hand as I thought it would take me back to main dashboard.

Thu, 03/31/2011 - 16:34

I should also note, that Apache, MySQL, PHP, and mail seem to be running fine. I just cannot get to the virtualmin interface to manage my server.

Thu, 03/31/2011 - 17:38


So which distribution are you using -- CentOS 5.x?

What I'd suggest doing are logging into your server as root, and running "yum update". That'll make sure that all your packages are up to date.

Then, restart webmin with "/etc/init.d/webmin restart". After doing that, are you able to access the control panel?


Thu, 03/31/2011 - 18:15 (Reply to #3)

yes centOS 5.5. I will have to try and access the server tomorrow as I am at home now. However, I will try your suggestions and post an update. Thank you!

Mon, 04/04/2011 - 10:36 (Reply to #4)

after making sure all my packages were up to date, i then tried restarting webmin. it would fail and tell me that webmin could not bind to port 10000 as it was already in use. so, i restarted the entire server and everything seems to be fine now. it also seems that 3.84gpl was installed as it now says that is the version i'm using on the dashboard.

thank you for your help sir.

Mon, 04/04/2011 - 10:40 (Reply to #5)

double post fail

Mon, 04/04/2011 - 18:35

It would probably have sufficed to kill any stray/leftover Webmin processes before trying to restart Webmin, but rebooting the server surely fixes that too. ;)

Topic locked