Webmin upgrade revert maildir to mailbox in procmailrc

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Fri, 04/25/2014 - 11:55

Webmin upgrade revert maildir to mailbox in procmailrc


following an upgrade of virtualmin i got a breakage of config as my procmailrc was modified:

modify /etc/procmailrc
< DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/
< ORGMAIL=$HOME/Maildir/
> DEFAULT=/var/mail/$LOGNAME
> ORGMAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME

< webmin=1.675
> webmin=1.680

this break all of my emails. I searched everywhere but i saw no sign of configuration telling virtualmin or webmin that emails should be in this deprecated place ( /var/mail/%u). Do you know where i could find the culprit of such strange behavior to prevent it from happening again at next upgrade ?

best regards, Ghislain.

Fri, 04/25/2014 - 12:44


Webmin/Virtualmin should always use $HOME/Maildir/ for email... I'm not sure what might cause that change.

What distro are you using?

And do you perhaps have any third party repositories enabled?


Fri, 04/25/2014 - 18:56 (Reply to #2)

no we use the virtualmin repository and it's on a debian wheezy 64bit.

deb http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/debian virtualmin-wheezy main deb http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/debian virtualmin-universal main

regards, Ghislain.

Sat, 05/31/2014 - 15:44

This is happening again and again on Ubuntu server with every webmin upgrade.

Thu, 05/14/2015 - 06:32

This is driving me nuts as well. Every upgrade modifies my /etc/procmailrc file and I have to manually change the procmailrc back again and migrate new mail which has arrived since the upgrade into the Maildir folders.

Webmin 1.750 Virtualmin 4.17.gpl CentOS Linux 7.1.1503

Thu, 05/14/2015 - 09:37


Virtualmin will configure the /etc/procmailrc file to match the settings that Postfix is using.

In /etc/postfix/main.cf, check the "home_mailbox" variable, and make sure it's set the way you want.

In particular, if that parameter is set to "Maildir/", it should deliver email to the Maildir directory in user's homedirs.


Thu, 05/14/2015 - 12:41

Thanks Eric. That makes absolute sense. The variable was not populated at all, and I've now set it as per your suggestion. I'm pretty sure it will soothe my frustration through the next upgrade :-)

Topic locked