Need help with email from path being wrong

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Wed, 06/25/2014 - 03:39
drguild

Need help with email from path being wrong

Note: as of a post abit down I have formatted and re-installed everything even tried a change of distro with the same issues.

Please always refer to my last post for the current info regarding this matter .

Old stuff:

Trying to setup postfix but having a issue with the SMTP header.

Using the SMTP check page I get this where its showing my internal hostname/dns of server.revnet not the vhost I'm checking from.

I check from drguild.noip.me and it outputs this.

SMTP Reverse DNS Mismatch Warning - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner More Info
SMTP Reverse Banner Check OK - 110.175.205.112 resolves to 110-175-205-112.static.tpgi.com.au
SMTP TLS OK - Supports TLS.
SMTP Connection Time 1.248 seconds - Good on Connection time
SMTP Open Relay OK - Not an open relay.
SMTP Transaction Time 4.368 seconds - Good on Transaction Time
Session Transcript:
Connecting to 110.175.205.112

220 server.revnet ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu) [874 ms]
EHLO MXTB-PWS3.mxtoolbox.com
250-server.revnet
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN [936 ms]
MAIL FROM: <supertool@mxtoolbox.com>
250 2.1.0 Ok [936 ms]
RCPT TO: <test@example.com>
454 4.7.1 <test@example.com>: Relay access denied [936 ms]

MXTB-PWS3v2 8986ms

I just put in postfix and checked the virtual servers config, in the postfix SMTP header I have this which I presume is right.

$myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu)

I have rebooted the server also but I dunno how to fix this.

I think it could be because I'm behind a ISP as a normal consumer and its something with reverse dns's etc where postfix isn't detecting the incoming info for the mailserver.

Wed, 06/25/2014 - 07:41
Locutus

This is primarily a warning and shouldn't be critical. If you want this warning to disappear, you need to set the reverse DNS hostname as your "mail_name", in this case

110-175-205-112.static.tpgi.com.au

or if your hoster allows you to change the reverse DNS, you can enter some proper hostname.

On Ubuntu, the contents of /etc/mailname should be used in that place.

Wed, 06/25/2014 - 11:05
drguild

I'll look more into it.

I setup Virtualmin via Webmin following the guide and after getting a basic email going with postfix and posting that I realised I needed the Dovecot IMAP/POP3 Server and Procmail Mail Filter for when I wanted to test roundmail, so been trying to do that from a reference VM I used the virtualmin script on as I started the main setup with just webmin and adding to it as I go as needed.

But atm its kinda broken I cant send and receive emails and users come up as @localhost in roundmail, and stuff doesn't seem configured right.

I'm getting slightly somewhere.

Managed to fix the server receiving emails but now I have issues sending I can send but all my domains are sending email using the internal hostname for users not the Vhost so need to look into this.

Eg I send an email from drguild2@drguild2noip.me it gets sent as drguild2@server.revnet because thats my internal hostname :/

Wed, 06/25/2014 - 12:44
Locutus

Hmmm, okay I see.

If I may give a suggestion... It's usually highly recommended to use the Virtualmin installer script on a fresh, "blank" Linux OS, instead of going the manual way following some guides.

So if possible and the system is not in production use yet, you might want to reinstall the OS, install NO hosting packages but only SSH, and pull the installer script from here: https://www.virtualmin.com/download.html

It will take care of everything, pull in packages and configure the services, and you'll have a working Virtualmin installation in a few minutes. :)

Wed, 06/25/2014 - 13:07
drguild

I did try that in a vm a fresh os install of ubuntu server 14.04 to learn from and thats what im using to compare with and quite allot of stuff is the same as both systems are ubuntu server 14.04 as you can see on my last thread.

like in /etc/procmailrc the file contents only consist of:

DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/
ORGMAIL=$HOME/Maildir/

Also directives were wrong etc out of the box.

So im trying to use this opportunity to learn how to do it myself as its a good learning experience, also others on another forum wouldn't like it unless I learnt to do it myself.

Wed, 06/25/2014 - 13:08
Locutus

Okidoki, sounds good! :) Let us know if you have further problems.

It's just best to have a "common base", in this case having used the installer script. Makes it easier to rule out problems caused by attempts to manually configure things.

Thu, 06/26/2014 - 02:58
drguild

I don't get that last message you say 'sounds good let us know if your having more issues'.

This thread is the current issue im having.

I have a vm up with a fresh install in using to compare to my main system as I don't want really want to redo the main system and I want to learn also but as I said even that out of the box experience from the install.sh script isn't configured right on a totally fresh os install of Ubuntu Server 14.04.

The directives are wrong in the script on ubuntu being 'allow from all' they need to be 'Require all granted' procmailrc just seems to have 2 lines in after running the install.sh file with no log file directive or anything else in it, as a example of stuff. So the script isn't without its flaws.

Also trying the premade already setup basic install virtualmin kvm's and updating packages on them before I use them, I'm getting similar issues to what im trying to fix like wheezy premade roundcube not connecting and storage server failed same as I had on ubuntu.

So I don't understand what you mean I assume you think I have things all sorted out and fixed on this issue because I'm trying to compare from a fresh install in a vm which isn't right natively from the script or vm.

Thu, 06/26/2014 - 04:25
Locutus

You're right, my apologies, I misunderstood your message.

It's possible that the procmail.rc gets modified the first time you specifically turn on spam and virus checking for a domain. Otherwise the modification is not needed.

About the other issues, unfortunately I have no experience with Ubuntu 14 yet; I'll still be using Ubuntu 12.04 for quite a while, where the installer script works all okay out of the box for me. Usually I only switch to a new major release for production use when the first dot-release (14.04.1) is out.

Maybe Eric can say something more about any 14.04 issues.

Thu, 06/26/2014 - 07:03
drguild

A small fix but not a full one I still need to fix one area still but I have something working where where its sending the the correct domain in the header from roundmail but not php ini itself for some reason.

Installed and setup saslauthd (which was a pain for a couple hours) as well as copying the info from the file in procmailrc from the wheezy virtualmin premade kvm.

Sending mail the headers in roundmail works with the correct headers as I changed the email in there of the login user, but a test php script I have still doesn't work right as its still going from the internal server domain as the return path.

This is the header from a roundmail install on drguild.noip.me by my ISP which actually got through.

From - Thu Jun 26 18:44:21 2014
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 18:44:02 +0800
From: webmaster <webmaster@drguild.noip.me>
To: ***@tpg.com.au
Subject: test

test

Here is a test email by a php mail script on a domain drguild2.noip.me which was rejected by my ISP and sent back.

drguild.noip.me is a sub server of my main server.revnet host when drguild2.noip.me is a test top level host in virtualmin for testing just incase the subserver part was the issue but as you can see roundmail on drguild.noip.me was fine so I doubt its just because its a subserver.

*Both domains send the same using my internal host as the return path.

<***@tpg.com.au>: host mx2.tpgi.com.au[203.12.160.123] said: 553 5.1.8
    <***@tpg.com.au>... Domain of sender address drguild2@server.revnet
    does not exist (in reply to RCPT TO command)
To: ***@tpg.com.au
Subject: PHP Mail Test script
From:drguild2@drguild2.noip.me
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 18:51:45 +0800 (WST)

This is a test to check the PHP Mail functionality
To: ***@tpg.com.au
From:drguild2@drguild2.noip.me
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 18:51:45 +0800 (WST)

This is a test to check the PHP Mail functionality

I have gotten somewhere but not all the way as there is a config issue elsewhere to fix.

Here is that php script:

<?php
    ini_set( 'display_errors', 1 );
    error_reporting( E_ALL );
    $from = "drguild2@drguild2.noip.me";
    $to = "***@tpg.com.au";
    $subject = "PHP Mail Test script";
    $message = "This is a test to check the PHP Mail functionality";
    $headers = "From:" . $from;
    mail($to,$subject,$message, $headers);
    echo "Test email sent";
?>

From the mail.log from that test script.

Jun 26 19:23:04 server postfix/pickup[1472]: B46BB340D16: uid=1012 from=<drguild2>
Jun 26 19:23:04 server postfix/cleanup[14647]: B46BB340D16: message-id=<20140626112304.B46BB340D16@110-175-205-112.static.tpgi.com.au>
Jun 26 19:23:04 server postfix/qmgr[1473]: B46BB340D16: from=<drguild2@server.revnet>, size=444, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Jun 26 19:23:07 server postfix/smtp[14649]: B46BB340D16: to=<***@tpg.com.au>, relay=mx2.tpgi.com.au[203.12.160.123]:25, delay=2.7, delays=0.09/0.01/1.7/0.85, dsn=5.1.8, status=bounced (host mx2.tpgi.com.au[203.12.160.123] said: 553 5.1.8 <***@tpg.com.au>... Domain of sender address drguild2@server.revnet does not exist (in reply to RCPT TO command))
Jun 26 19:23:07 server postfix/cleanup[14647]: 6A7CF340D17: message-id=<20140626112307.6A7CF340D17@110-175-205-112.static.tpgi.com.au>
Jun 26 19:23:07 server postfix/bounce[14653]: B46BB340D16: sender non-delivery notification: 6A7CF340D17
Jun 26 19:23:07 server postfix/qmgr[1473]: 6A7CF340D17: from=<>, size=2619, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Jun 26 19:23:07 server postfix/qmgr[1473]: B46BB340D16: removed
Jun 26 19:23:07 server postfix/local[14654]: 6A7CF340D17: to=<drguild2@server.revnet>, relay=local, delay=0.11, delays=0.04/0.01/0/0.05, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/bin/procmail-wrapper -o -a $DOMAIN -d $LOGNAME)
Jun 26 19:23:07 server postfix/qmgr[1473]: 6A7CF340D17: removed

And for a test logging into roundmail on drguild.noip.me with the drguild2 user.

From - Thu Jun 26 19:34:53 2014
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 19:34:34 +0800
From: drguild2 <drguild2@drguild2.noip.me>
To: msmithdale@tpg.com.au
Subject: scripts :/

bleh

I like to learn how to do things and this semi manual way is helping me do that.

I may do a reinstall of everything under Centos instead of Ubuntu as I see thats the prefered distro for virtualmin etc and would be more supported by updated once I have something setup but for now I want to just learn how to configure stuff.

Sat, 06/28/2014 - 02:21
drguild

More info on the issue.

I have found out that the headers aren't being automatically updated and replaced from that last script.

Trying another script as in the one in this message gets through fine.

<?php $to = '***@tpg.com.au';
$subject = 'Test email using PHP'; $message = 'This is a test email message';
$headers = 'From: drguild2@drguild2.noip.me' . "\r\n" .
mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers, '-fdrguild2@drguild2.noip.me'); ?>

The usual header source of that script for reference once I got the email.

From - Sat Jun 28 13:51:44 2014
To: ***tpg.com.au
Subject: Test email using PHP
From: drguild2@drguild2.noip.me
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 13:51:27 +0800 (WST)

This is a test email message

From the maillog.

Jun 28 13:51:27 server postfix/pickup[23303]: 25F5E340D16: uid=1012 from=<drguild2@drguild2.noip.me>
Jun 28 13:51:27 server postfix/cleanup[28440]: 25F5E340D16: message-id=<20140628055127.25F5E340D16@110-175-205-112.static.tpgi.com.au>
Jun 28 13:51:27 server postfix/qmgr[1473]: 25F5E340D16: from=<drguild2@drguild2.noip.me>, size=492, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Jun 28 13:51:30 server postfix/smtp[28442]: 25F5E340D16: to=<***@tpg.com.au>, relay=mx2.tpgi.com.au[203.12.160.123]:25, delay=3.8, delays=0.12/0.01/1.7/1.9, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 s5S5pL4l005553 Message accepted for delivery)
Jun 28 13:51:30 server postfix/qmgr[1473]: 25F5E340D16: removed

Specifically take note of the 'Reply-To:' header which is the issue I face now getting procmail etc to automatically change that header per domain.

Any info on how to do this?

Looking at the log its as if the wrapper to do the header variables isn't working as its missing when I assign the 'Reply-To:' tag but is when the script doesn't use that tag with a domain option.

Looking at a prepackaged debian with virtualmin installed already from cloudmin I can't seem to find the answer as my procmail seems to match.

The whole reason I want to learn this is for later if I have other issues I have at least some knowledge of whats behind the scenes and how it all works and have fixed stuff so when updates/upgrades come im not a front end user with no knowledge of anything under the hood.

I'm sure I would face the same issue weather or not I used the full script to do this.

Update: I realise now I need the lookup-domain also installed by the script to translate into names and can't seem to find a way to do it manually.

I wanted to see how far I got and learn but I think its time now to redo this thing from scratch.

Sat, 06/28/2014 - 10:09
drguild

This issue is still not fully solved even after a complete format and reinstall trying Centos 6.5 half thinking of changing back to ubuntu for htop lxde etc but I'll give this a shot gui I only use for a few things started manually.

I had something here but found the specific issue but don't know the fix.

The issue is resolving the hostname where the mail originates from.

I changed the new install to read 110-175-205-112.static.tpgi.com.au as a test, the internet hostname mail works both ways but its not right as headers are showing as:

From - Sat Jun 28 20:27:33 2014
To: ***@tpg.com.au
From:drguild@drguild.noip.me
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 20:27:31 +0800 (WST)

This is a test to check the PHP Mail functionality

Which is appears to be wrong in some way aka return path listed as drguild@tpgi.com.au etc.

Is there any fix to this? also willing to give alittle something to the person that can fix this and set it up properly.

noip has a mx record but I doin't know how to set this up in virtualmin or if its needed.

Unfortunately no-ip like others give no support on server configuration issues as its not directly to do with with the service they provide.

For the record I have a static IP from my ISP but use noip for the hostname.

Sat, 07/05/2014 - 01:52
drguild

Decided to do a quick test.

From 'Read User Mail' in Webmin email gets sent fine with right headers if I type a message in there.

Date: Sat,  5 Jul 2014 14:21:59 +0800 (WST)
From: MAILER-DAEMON@server.revnet (Mail Delivery System)
Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
To: drguild@server.revnet
Auto-Submitted: auto-replied

This is a MIME-encapsulated message.

--A1618D615B9.1404541319/110-175-205-112.static.tpgi.com.au

This is the mail system at host 110-175-205-112.static.tpgi.com.au.

                   The mail system

<***@tpg.com.au>: host mx1.tpgi.com.au[203.12.160.122] said: 553 5.1.8
    <***@tpg.com.au>... Domain of sender address drguild@server.revnet
    does not exist (in reply to RCPT TO command)

--A1618D615B9.1404541319/110-175-205-112.static.tpgi.com.au

Reporting-MTA: dns; 110-175-205-112.static.tpgi.com.au
Arrival-Date: Sat,  5 Jul 2014 14:21:56 +0800 (WST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; ***@tpg.com.au
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mx1.tpgi.com.au
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 553 5.1.8 <***@tpg.com.au>... Domain of sender
    address drguild@server.revnet does not exist

--A1618D615B9.1404541319/110-175-205-112.static.tpgi.com.au

To: ***@tpg.com.au
From:drguild@drguild.noip.me
Date: Sat,  5 Jul 2014 14:21:56 +0800 (WST)

This is a test to check the PHP Mail functionality

--A1618D615B9.1404541319/110-175-205-112.static.tpgi.com.au--

From a php script same issues with headers and mail is rejected by my ISP.

From - Sat Jul 05 14:02:40 2014
From: drguild@drguild.noip.me
Subject: hey
To: ***@tpg.com.au
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 14:02:46 +0800 (WST)

--bound1404540166

yo from server

--bound1404540166--

I feel that this issue cant be solved by anyone here not even the staff.

I think its to do with PHP and scripts as sending from the 'Read User Mail' tab works and Roundmail also works but a php file won't not even wordpress.

Im going to be redoing my server setup due to some other changes I want to do from Ubuntu to to Centos 6.5 and I will be looking at offering between $50-$100 AUD for a fix depending on the type of fix this is unless someone is kind enough to offer me a solution for free but I feel this has gone on long enough that its probably worth thanking whoever can fix this.

Tue, 07/08/2014 - 09:53
drguild

I have redone my server and this thread is no longer relevant as its too bloated with old issues with the email headers and post after post of quoted headers which have mostly been resolved.

There are still some issues I think with the headers but I feel its time to make a new clean thread under the virtualmin forum section and to reorganise my thoughts cleaner as to not confuse people and the issues are on a new fresh install of everything under Centos.

Moderators are free to delete or lock this thread.

Topic locked