Thanks Joe for all those videos at https://www.youtube.com/virtualmin
About Joe's announcement at https://www.virtualmin.com/node/57303
if there's anything you'd like me to cover, feel free to let me know.
I suggest a introduction about Virtualmin security. With focus on an overview of the most frequent and most popular security configurations, and their location inside Virtualmin. For an audience of newcomers to Virtualmin. By overview I mean "no details" how-tos. Those could be additional videos per topic with details details.
We noticed that many of our clients who choose Virtualmin need strong security, but as newcomer they are not aware of those configuration and their location in Virtualmin. A video about those might be of interest as security prevention, monitoring, detection, and related actions.
- Strong Password
- SSH Public and Private Keys at /sshd/index.cgi?xnavigation=1
- Webmin Configuration
- Customize Brute-force Protection at /webmin/edit_session.cgi?xnavigation=1
- Virtualmin Configuration
- Security Updates Automated Notification at /security-updates/?xnavigation=1 Under "Scheduled checking options" section.
- SSL Certificate
- Let's Encrypt at /virtual-server/cert_form.cgi
- Intrusion Prevention & Detection
- Firewall at /firewall/?xnavigation=1
- Fail2Ban at /fail2ban/?xnavigation=1
- Spam and Virus Scanning at /virtual-server/edit_newsv.cgi?xnavigation=1
- SpamAssassin at /spam/?xnavigation=1
- SPF Record, DMARC Policy at /virtual-server/edit_spf.cgi
- Greylist with Postgrey at /virtual-server/postgrey.cgi?xnavigation=1
- Any other security topic(s) you recall is popular?
Minor text formatting
Clarified suggestion. Subscribed to notification.
Submitted by andreychek on Mon, 08/27/2018 - 22:49 Comment #3
Passing this along to Joe.
Great idea and a great list (and good structure)!
I'm finally back to making videos (a week later than even the last time I said I'd be back to it). One of our servers is acting up again so I've been setting up mirrors and such in anticipation of either retiring that server or rebuilding it again with some new hardware (though this time I can't figure out what hardware to replace to fix it...it's always been drives before, now it's just half-crashing for no obvious reason).
Thanks Joe :)
Sorry to hear that about the half-sick server. I hope it feels better soon.
This video has now been recorded. I'll edit it tomorrow and hopefully have it uploaded soon after.