Webmin users deleted on virtual server creation

Hi, this is an email i sent to support@virtualmin.com. I've not had a response yet (maybe i'm getting junked :)) So i'll post it here to try and get some attention, read from the bottom up

Further update…

That got things back to normal; however creating a new virtual server now causes the problem to be repeated.
I didn’t mention earlier that I had set the “Automatically create alias domain” option to “Yes, under: domain.net”. I’ve used this before and it’s not caused a problem.
However setting this to No stops the webmin users being deleted upon creation of the new domain.

FYI, I’m running Virtualmin 3.02, FC4 fully updated.

Cheers, Chris Blackwell


From: Chris Blackwell
Sent: 03 January 2006 11:45
To: 'support@virtualmin.com'
Subject: RE: Virtualmin Support Request - Locked out, webmin users gone


I’ve managed to get back into webmin by doing the following

[root@localhost webmin]# echo "chris:" >> /etc/webmin/miniserv.users
[root@localhost webmin]# echo "chris: *" >> /etc/webmin/webmin.acl
[root@localhost webmin]# /usr/libexec/webmin/changepass.pl /etc/webmin/ chris foo

I then went into webmin users and changed my password.
However every webmin user has been deleted apart from the junk virtual server owner listed below

I’m going thru the diffs files now (thank god loggin was turned on) and there are many entries like

modify /etc/webmin/webmin.acl
< username: mysql webalizer virtual-server file passwd change-user htaccess-htpasswd mailboxes virtualmin-awstats

I’m going to reverse all these actions to restore the users

Not sure how Virtualmin decided to delete every user, but that’s what it’s done.

If you’d like copies of my logs and diffs let me know and I’ll mail them over.

Cheers, Chris Blackwell


From: Chris Blackwell
Sent: 03 January 2006 10:11
To: 'support@virtualmin.com'
Subject: Virtualmin Support Request - Locked out, webmin users gone


I’ve just experienced something very odd. I’m not entirely sure what’s happened but I’m now locked out of webmin.

I was changing the settings in the default template to see how the SPF options affected the DNS record; I saved them and then created a new junk domain. After all the output from the domain creation script it said done, with no errors. I then went to the BIND module to look at the created record and I got an error - “User Chris does not have access to module BIND Dns Server”, I got the same error from the Virtualmin module when I tried to go to that. I logged out and tried to log back in and it failed a few times, I was then blocked for 60 secs for too many login attempts.

I looked through the book of webmin and tried to change my password from the command line

root@localhost webmin]# ./changepass.pl /etc/webmin/ chris foo
The Webmin user chris does not exist
The users on your system are: aaaaaaaatdgfdfgdg ß- this is the junk domain I created

I can change the password of that user, but it obviously doesn’t have many privileges, webmin users for my other domains all seem to have disappeared, the system users are still there though, I can still send/rec email and ftp and all the websites are still running

This error must have occured when webmin was restarted at the end of the new domain creation.

I have Virtualmin backups of all my domains from last night as well as the Virtualmin config, but I don’t know where to start in restoring just the users. Root login to webmin is disabled.

This is obviously quite an urgent issue for me.


Chris Blackwell

Closed (fixed)