problem with spamassasin


i was checking around why i got so much spam...

and i found a problem i have included the info that i think you may need to know... if you need more info, please email me...

in /var/log/procmail.log i see.

Timeout::_run: check: no loaded plugin implements 'check_main': cannot scan!
Check the necessary '.pre' files are in the config directory. at /usr/bin/spamassassin line 403.
procmail: Program failure (255) of "/usr/bin/spamassassin"
procmail: Rescue of unfiltered data succeeded
From MAILER-DAEMON  Sun Nov  6 23:26:55 2011
Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)
  Folder: /home/jesper/domains/     3155

when i run spamassassin -D --lint there is no problems to see... i tried reinstall spamassasin and delete all conf files of it, didn't fix anything... i have this problem on all my servers, all running debian version...

# uname -a
Linux thor 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Wed May 18 23:13:22 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# cat /etc/debian_version

# apt-show-versions | grep virtualmin
procmail-wrapper/virtualmin-squeeze uptodate 1.0-2
usermin/virtualmin-universal uptodate 1.490
usermin-virtual-server-mobile/virtualmin-universal uptodate 2.1
usermin-virtual-server-theme/virtualmin-universal uptodate 6.8
virtualmin-base/virtualmin-squeeze uptodate 1.0-30
webmin/virtualmin-universal uptodate 1.570
webmin-security-updates/virtualmin-universal uptodate 4.3
webmin-virtual-server/virtualmin-universal uptodate 3.88.gpl
webmin-virtual-server-mobile/virtualmin-universal uptodate 2.4
webmin-virtual-server-theme/virtualmin-universal uptodate 8.1
webmin-virtualmin-awstats/virtualmin-universal uptodate 4.6
webmin-virtualmin-dav/virtualmin-universal uptodate 3.5
webmin-virtualmin-htpasswd/virtualmin-universal uptodate 2.5
webmin-virtualmin-mailman/virtualmin-universal uptodate 6.1
webmin-virtualmin-svn/virtualmin-universal uptodate 4.9

regards Jesper



Howdy -- if you look in Email Messages -> Spam and Virus Scanning, what is "SpamAssassin client program" set to?

Also, what output do you get if you run this command:

dpkg -l spamassassin

Lastly, what does this command show:

ls -ld /etc/spamassassin/

SpamAssassin client program spamassassin (Standalone program)

dpkg -l spamassassin

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad) ||/ Name Version Description +++-==============================-==============================-============================================================================ ii spamassassin 3.3.1-1 Perl-based spam filter using text analysis

ls -ld /etc/spamassassin/

drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Nov 7 06:38 /etc/spamassassin/

after getting the info, i tried to change it to spamc, and it started to be working... i will gladly help finding the other bug, but at least, that is a way to get it working...

regards Jesper

Howdy -- using "spamc" is what I'd recommend, if you have enough RAM for it. It's faster and more efficient.

As for what was wrong with the "spamassassin" setting -- I'd guess that there's a permissions problem somewhere, where the individual users were being denied access to the config files, or some other directory.

I'll do some testing to see if I can reproduce that on a Debian 6 system.

i though it was running spamc, but it seemed it wasn't....

if you need help debugging on the other matter, do write back.

i should proberly make a new post about making cloudmin doing sync of default settings between multiple virtualmin servers, as i seem to not getting this working, if even possible... the replicator seems to only be if i want a vserver able on more servers.

We'd be happy to help with Cloudmin (or rather, Jamie would, as I'm not overly familiar with sync'ing settings) -- but yeah, open up a new request there, and Jamie can take a look at that.