clamav out of date

This seems to be wrapped in a virtualmain wrapper so didn't want to mess with it. But I am continually getting emails about clamav being out of date. When I do a yum update clamav I get no updates available.

The email is: LibClamAV Warning: *********************************************************** LibClamAV Warning: *** This version of the ClamAV engine is outdated. *** LibClamAV Warning: *** DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/support/faq *** LibClamAV Warning: ***********************************************************

Comments

Overly dramatic or not, it sends me sometimes 20 emails a day about it being out of date. I tried the link to the other bug but it's says I don't have permission. Can you tell me how to correct or when the current version will be available in Virtualmin?

It is unusual that this is emailing you ... could you post the full email here?

Yeah, the owner of the other ticket had apparently set it to private, so it won't be visible to everyone.

As far as ClamAV goes -- the version available in the Bleed repo is barely a month old, but does still generate quite a bit of chatter about being outdated.

This is a bit of an experiment -- but in "/etc/sysconfig/freshclam", I believe there's a line that looks something like this:

FRESHCLAM_DELAY=disabled-warn

Do you have that in your freshclam file?

If so, what happens if you comment it out (by putting a # in front of it), and then restarting the freshclam process (I don't have the exact script name in front of me, but that's something like: /etc/init.d/clamav-freshclam restart).

After that, do you continue to receive those notices?

Looks like it's already commented out:

## When changing the periodicity of freshclam runs in the crontab,
## this value must be adjusted also. Its value is the timespan between
## two subsequent freshclam runs in minutes. E.g. for the default
##
## | 0 */3 * * *  ...
##
## crontab line, the value is 180 (minutes).
# FRESHCLAM_MOD=

## A predefined value for the delay in seconds. By default, the value is
## calculated by the 'hostid' program. This predefined value guarantees
## constant timespans of 3 hours between two subsequent freshclam runs.
##
## This option accepts two special values:
## 'disabled-warn'  ...  disables the automatic freshclam update and
##                         gives out a warning
## 'disabled'       ...  disables the automatic freshclam silently
# FRESHCLAM_DELAY=

### !!!!! REMOVE ME !!!!!!
### REMOVE ME: By default, the freshclam update is disabled to avoid
### REMOVE ME: network access without prior activation
#FRESHCLAM_DELAY=disabled-warn  # REMOVE ME

Looks like it's already commented out:

Okay, then plan B is what Jamie asked... can you paste in the entire contents of one of the warning emails you're receiving?

That should help us figure out how to quiet it down a bit :-)

I did in the first post. It comes from Cron Daemon.

LibClamAV Warning: ***********************************************************
LibClamAV Warning: ***  This version of the ClamAV engine is outdated.     ***
LibClamAV Warning: *** DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/support/faq ***
LibClamAV Warning: ***********************************************************

And a yum list clamav shows:

clamav.x86_64                                        0.96.4-1.vm.el5                                         installed

I did in the first post. It comes from Cron Daemon.

We're interested in the headers too... the "From" and "Subject" lines would be a good start.

Here's best I can do from Thunderbird:

Subject:
Cron <root@ezms1> /usr/share/clamav/freshclam-sleep
From:
root@ez-merchant-hosting.com (Cron Daemon)
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2010 14:04:02 -0800 (PST)
To:
root@ez-merchant-hosting.com, postmaster@ez-merchant-hosting.com, webmaster@ez-merchant-hosting.com, clamav@ez-merchant-hosting.com
SpamAssassin 3.2.5 (2008-06-10) on ezms1.ez-merchant-hosting.com

LibClamAV Warning: ***********************************************************
LibClamAV Warning: ***  This version of the ClamAV engine is outdated.     ***
LibClamAV Warning: *** DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/support/faq ***
LibClamAV Warning: ***********************************************************

What output do you receive if you type this command as root:

crontab -l | grep freshclam

It shows nothing (empty result).

What if you run :

ls /etc/cron*/*clam*

[root@ezms1 tonyb]# ls /etc/cron*/*clam*
/etc/cron.d/clamav-update
[root@ezms1 tonyb]#

And this is the freshclam:

[root@ezms1 tonyb]# ls /etc/sysconfig/*clam*
/etc/sysconfig/freshclam
[root@ezms1 tonyb]#

Ok .. and what does /etc/cron.d/clamav-update contain?

[root@ezms1 tonyb]# cat !$
cat /etc/cron.d/clamav-update
## Adjust this line...
MAILTO=root,postmaster,webmaster,clamav

## It is ok to execute it as root; freshclam drops privileges and becomes
## user 'clamav' as soon as possible
0  */3 * * * root /usr/share/clamav/freshclam-sleep
[root@ezms1 tonyb]#

So if I just make the MAILTO line be MAILTO= that will probably stop the email. But I guess the bigger question is when will it become "up to date"?

Yes, that would stop the email.

I will defer to Joe to answer when the new ClamAV package will be out.