Submitted by thanecrossley.com on Fri, 09/17/2010 - 17:44
I just recently changed the root directory for a virtual server, and then I applied a signed cert. It seemed like changing the root directory went successfully, but when I later applied a signed cert and the system restarted the virtual server, apache would not start up again. I got the following error:
Failed to start service :
Starting httpd: Warning: DocumentRoot [/home/goto/public_html] does not exist Syntax error on line 1051 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf: can't get fastcgi file info: /home/goto/fcgi-bin/php5.fcgi(/home/goto/fcgi-bin/php5.fcgi), errno: 2 [FAILED]
Submitted by JamieCameron on Fri, 09/17/2010 - 18:24 Comment #1
How did you change the root directory exactly? By editing the Apache config, or using Virtualmin?
Submitted by thanecrossley.com on Fri, 09/17/2010 - 18:33 Comment #2
I used virutalmin.
Submitted by JamieCameron on Fri, 09/17/2010 - 18:58 Comment #3
That sounds like a bug then ..
The work-around is to manually edit
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.confand change all references to the old home directory to the new one. Once this is done, you should be able to start Apache.
Submitted by thanecrossley.com on Fri, 09/17/2010 - 19:26 Comment #4
Thanks. I'll give that a try.
Submitted by thanecrossley.com on Fri, 09/17/2010 - 20:10 Comment #5
your suggestion did the trick. Thank you.
Please look into this bug with the home folder renaming option. In looking at the httpd.conf file, it was clear that some entries were correct (updated to the new value) and some were not. Let me know if you could use further help with this issue.
Submitted by JamieCameron on Fri, 09/17/2010 - 20:41 Comment #6
Glad that worked.
So I can get it the underlying bug fixed, do you happen to remember which line(s) you had to change the path in?
Submitted by thanecrossley.com on Sat, 09/18/2010 - 14:54 Comment #7
You know.... I should have saved a copy of the original problematic file. :(
Unfortunately I don't remember the precise details. I do recall that it seemed like the entries closest to the beginning of the description of the virtual host were incorrect, down through to DAV settings. I do recall that the SLL cert entries were correct, and everything below that.
Sorry to blow this opportunity to clearly identify this bug. I'll see about reproducing the behaviour on a test domain sometime soon.
Submitted by JamieCameron on Sat, 09/18/2010 - 20:40 Comment #8
I would be interested to know if you can re-produce this with a test domain, as I just created and then renamed a virtual server, and all the Apache directives were updated OK..