Disk usage reported incorrectly

Hello again!

Sorry to be rapid firing tickets. :)

Today, while working on the new server (CentOS 5.5), I noticed that there is a discrepancy between what "df" reports as available disk space, and what Virtualmin/Webmin is reporting on the "System Information" page.

Current output from DF:

[root@clyde run]# df

Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/xvda             49025872   1101844  45931736   3% /

[root@clyde run]# df -h

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/xvda              47G  1.1G   44G   3% /

Displayed via management interface: Local disk space 46.75 GB total, 2.95 GB used

Screenshot also attached.

If it helps, the new server is a VPS at linode.com, I'm on the Linode 1536 server type.

Closed (fixed)


Also, I have enabled remote logins through 7/9 for you guys at server clyde.infinite-monkeys.com, so you can take a closer look if you need to.

If you log into the web interface, you might see the message that the license is on 3 systems, this is not true. The server I was testing the VPS/Virtualmin install with was turned off this morning after I was done installing Clyde last night, and the license server hasn't caught up yet.

I submitted a ticket previously about this as a heads up, and I have to be off my current box by the middle of August. I am trying to get everything transitioned by the end of July, at which point the number of installed systems will be back to 1. :)

The discrepancy is because Virtualmin counts as used the disk space that is reserved for the root user - if you run df -h , you will see that the "Used" and "Avail" numbers do not add up to the "Size". That is because by default 5% of the disk space is reserved for use by root only.

This can be adjusted by the tunefs command if you fee that 5% is too high.

That makes perfect sense, and somewhere in the back of my mind I knew that. :P

I'm-a gunna go crawl back into my hole now ;)

Thanks Jamie.