ever since i upgraded from php5.4 to 5.6 and tried to clean up some previous junk, new virtual-servers seem to function strangely.
here are my steps to reproduce the issue:
1) create new virtual-server using only the DNS domain enabled? and Apache website enabled? checked
2) enter /home/marksdomaintest.com/public_html, and create a simple
php phpinfo(); script.
3) test to make sure it is working properly.
4) attempt to change the default(?) Apache mod_php to either:
CGI wrapper (run as virtual server owner)
FCGId (run as virtual server owner)
5) now the tiny script just merely downloads and does not execute.
it will go back to executing normally if I [re]select Apache mod_php again.
EDIT: maybe same issue as https://www.virtualmin.com/node/64638